It’s cold outside, the wind is howling, and you start sniffling and sneezing. You might assume you’ve gotten a cold, but irritants like dust mites and pet dander can cause allergy symptoms during the winter in Goshen, Indiana. Here’s how to tell if you’re suffering from severe winter allergy symptoms and how to stop them right away:
Winter Colds vs. Winter Allergies
Do you have a winter cold or winter allergies? Knowing will help you stop symptoms.
When you suffer from a winter cold, your:
- Nasal secretions become discolored
- Body aches and you feel the chills
- Symptoms usually only last for a week
When you suffer from winter allergies, your:
- Nasal secretions become watery and clear
- Eyes and throat become itchy
- Symptoms persist for weeks or even months
How to Stop Severe Winter Allergies
According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology, allergies are the leading cause of chronic illness in the United States. In fact, more than 50 million Americans suffer from severe winter allergy symptoms each year, totaling an annual cost of over $18 billion. Here are a few simple steps to stop those symptoms:
- Hire a professional HVAC contractor to test your home’s indoor air quality.
- Prevent dust buildup by installing an air purification system in your home.
- Use a high-quality humidifier to add moisture to the dryer winter air.
- Use a dehumidifier to balance the humidity in your home and prevent excess moisture.
- Invest in a ventilator to exhaust stale air out of your home and bring in fresh air from outside.
Offering a range of quality indoor air quality solutions, Rex’s Heating and Cooling has what you need to stop severe winter allergy from making your life miserable. Contact us today at 574-538-2022 to schedule an IAQ test.